Sunday, August 14, 2011

Breakdown: Week 10 HALFWAY POINT!!! :D

**yeah, it doesn't rhyme. So sue me. It's the halfway point & I wanted to celebrate!**

This turned into an unintentional easy week. And that's perfectly okay since it marks the halfway point in my marathon training. I'm working a 20 week program; longer than others might choose to do, but I decided long ago that I'm the turtle, not the hare.

Monday: Ah, the recovery day. I felt so terrible I considered calling out of work sick, but I didn't. I swore I'd go to work for at least half the day. When I got there, the most amazing thing happened... I had a cup of coffee & suddenly had pep in my step! At lunch, I decided to walk around the Post & ended up logging a mile. It felt great to stretch the muscles out & get the blood flowing.

Tuesday: The first day of my new/revised eating plan. It was rough, simply because it requires a lot of planning. I didn't exactly wing it, but it's a lot more veg than my sensitive digestive system is used to. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Wednesday: My first actual run following the long run. And I struggled the entire time. I managed 4.1 miles at a 12:53 pace. Not good at all. I think some of the issues involved were a change of sneakers & the nutrition... in working with my nutritional intake, it's a delicate balance between what I need & what it feels like I need. I'm trying to lose weight, so I really need to be careful regarding carb intake. It's a learning process...

...as in I learned afterwards that I read my meal plan wrong & I'm supposed to have my cereal bar before my run. Silly Bonnie. I'll get it right next time.
Thursday: An unexpected rest day. Normally, I'd be with my trainer & do some weights. However, a friend needed a ride after work, so I went to help her out. I was happy to help; as I spend more time focused on myself for the marathon, it's important to remember I've got friends out there who still like spending time with me, too. I think we're planning a nature walk soon... :D

Friday: Another base run, this time with my cereal bar eaten pre-run. And wow, what a difference! 4.5 miles at 11:46 pace. Could I have been faster on the 3rd interval? Probably. Could I have run the entire 5 miles? Most definitely. But I had a big day at work & had to get going! It doesn't happen often, so I didn't mind cutting it a bit short. Also, I got a blister on top of my previous blister... it's possible my shoes, after 157 miles, are already worn out. Other folks would be annoyed about such a short life span. I, however, am super-psyched to have logged 157 miles on a pair of running shoes! And since my Newtons work for me 100%, I don't care how expensive they are. When you find something that works, you stick with it!

Saturday: Uh oh. I had a wee-bit of a breakdown in the nutrition on Saturday. The morning went great, but then I went to a movie. I ate a bag of Skittles. The moview (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) went great with Skittles. But not being used to eating anything like that after 5 days, I got a bit of a tummy ache & substituted dinner with saltines. Not purposefully, mind you... it just happened that way.

Sunday: 8 miles... makes me feel like I'm in an Eminem video. And how did I handle it? Didn't set my alarm, like an idiot. So once again, I got up much later than I should've... & started out much later than I should have. And remember, I only had a bag of Skittles & Saltines for dinner. But overall, the run went okay. I tried to start out painfully slow, as a long slow distance run should be, but I seriously suck at keeping a pace. I held it together on the first loop, so that wasn't too bad.

As the run went on, I tried to keep my running pace at 12:00, but struggled at the very end of the 2nd loop.  I also tried the Honey Stinger Waffle for the first time. I didn't like it. It tasted great, don't get me wrong... but didn't exactly sit nicely in my stomach. I think that affected my 2nd loop, but that's also why I tried it for the first time on a "shorter" long distance run, just in case. I don't think I'll be up for trying this type of nutrition again.

So that was my week. Not too shabby. Did some running, ate properly... except for those Skittles.

Anyone out there know if I can use Skittles as nutrition during a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment