Sunday, September 18, 2011

Breakdown: Week 15 & Sickness Strikes!

Week 15: in like a lamb, out like a lion. Damn it.

Monday: a nice rest day after the 16 miler. Nothing about my legs felt right, so I was surprised how much a day of rest affected me. By the evening, I felt very recovered. I also had a metabolic test & found out I'm just under "average" metabolism. It's a slight improvement; it's nice to know my body is getting more efficient in burning calories.

Tuesday: the usual weight session with my trainer. We worked upper body because my legs were still tired. I also discovered my shoulders/upper arms were tired, too! Probably from how I was holding my body during the LSD on Sunday. I was feeling great!

Wednesday: 5 miles on the treadmill. This dark-all-early-morning thing is really bothering me. It makes me glad I've got a treadmill to continue keeping my fitness level up. 

Thursday: Started off with a full fitness assessment, including VO2. I love these assessments; they continually show progress. While I still need to lose another 7-10 lbs., they will be the final pounds to lose. According to the assessment, I'm a "well-trained athlete." That felt super good. :D

In the evening, I had another weight session with my trainer... this time, we worked legs. I even wore a RunningSkirt to the gym because I was feeling so good. It was great!

Friday: Another 5 miles on the treadmill before work.  The run was great; I wanted to go farther but I decided to err on the side of caution... knowing I had another LSD on Sunday (18 miles). Then the day turned weird. By the time I got to work, I had a ridiculous migraine & all the accompanying symptoms, like nausea & issues with light. I started downing as much caffeine & drugs as I could stand to try & help the pain. I felt okay after lunch, which was good because I had a dinner function to attend in the evening. And it was fun!

Saturday: rest & carbo loading for the next morning's LSD. Yes, I was a bit hung over from Friday night's function, but I pounded some Gatorade & was doing fine. I even steam-cleaned the carpet, mopped floors, & dusted our living room. I was on fire... until about 5 PM & dinner.  Mr. X & I were watching a video & I thought to myself "I feel like I'm on fire." Then the coughing fits started & lasted all nights. I was even sweating behind my knees. I felt like I got hit by a bus & my head was going to explode. And the worst part? Insomnia. Because I kept coughing, I couldn't fall asleep. I know it was about 1 AM before I could relax enough to rest. And when I did fall asleep, I woke up in clammy night sweats. 

Sunday: Honestly? I woke up at 8:30 AM. I couldn't handle the LSD at all. I was exhausted, my chest was sore from all the coughing, & my throat hurt from ... well, from whatever made it sore. I sounded like I'd just smoked 2 packs of cigarettes in rapid succession. I was miserable & felt horribly guilty for missing the run... & all that carb loading I did for no reason. 

This coming weekend is our 10th wedding anniversary. That is more important to me than an 18 mile run, so that's why I ultimately decided to skip the LSD run on Sunday. I did not want to get sicker than I clearly was. The problem I have now is how to make this run up. Because we're going away next weekend, I will not have the opportunity to run it next weekend. So I think, on Monday after work, the treadmill & I are going to have to hang out for a few hours. Or if the weather is cool enough, I'll hit the road & do my usual country loops a few dozen times. It's going to be rough, but sometimes, you're just sick & can't run. And family is always the priority. So I'll have to figure out how to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment