Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: Honey Stinger

I've been trying out new types of nutrition during the LSD (long slow distance) runs. For normal people, it would be a trial/error experience. But the problem is that I tend to stick with what I know. That means I don't try out a lot of new things. Additionally, I've got a wicked-sensitive digestive system (IBS, thank you very much), so I'm super fussy about what I'm willing to put in my stomach. 

With that in mind, I did a lot of research into what types of nutrition is out there. Everyone uses Gu & stuff like that, but I was concerned it might to heavy for me. Then I found out about Honey Stinger. It's made with honey as a sweetener, so it purports to be gentle on the system.



The first item I tried out were the Honey Stinger Organic Chews . I got the caffeinated Lime-Aid flavor, mostly because I like lime-flavored candy. I figured it couldn't be that bad. And I wasn't wrong. I love these things! Easy & smooth to chew. Tasty & easy to eat. It's a bit tough to eat as many as I need to, but I think that's about me learning how to eat & run rather than the product itself. Here's the nutritional info for an alternate flavor of the chews:


I can't figure out how to fix the stupid rotation!

With that in mind, I set about trying the Honey Stinger Organic Waffle. I opted for the vanilla flavor, mostly because it sounded good. It's a bit tough to eat while I'm running, though. It's a bit on the big side & took quite a few bites to get down... & a lot of water to wash it down. It tasted great, just like a fantastic cookie. But about 15 minutes after I ate it, it wasn't sitting to nicely in my stomach. I'm not sure they're the best for me for running... but I can easily see wanting to eat these as a yummy cookie snack!

Overall, I'd recommend Honey Stinger, though I'd stick with the chews & not the waffle. For me, it's about the ease-of-use with the chews. Both products taste great, so no worries there... but if you're looking for easy, then the chews are the way to go. I will definitely be ordering some more... including new flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment