Thursday, August 18, 2011

When the mail is a frenemy

I'm originally from New Jersey. I spent many summers, including some great college years, down at The Shore. And one of my favorite things from The Shore is salt water taffy. Today, I received this is the mail:

I couldn't help myself; I dove right in...past the Kindle replacement (screen broke in June), past the book my mom sent me, & past the digital copies of Blu Rays my parents send because they don't use the codes.

My mail is now my frenemy. Wikipedia defines a frenemy as "a portmanteau of "friend" and "enemy" that can refer to either an enemy disguised as a friend or to a partner who is simultaneously a competitor and rival.[1] The term is used to describe personal, geopolitical, and commercial relationships both among individuals and groups or institutions. The word has appeared in print as early as 1953."

My mail is now my nice friend who brings me packages of sweet & salty goodness... diabolically destroying my meal plan.    ...but I don't care. It's so yummy!!! There's something about candy from childhood... like those paper dots or the wax Coke bottles with nasty-syrupy-sugar-goo inside of them. It's awesome.

Question of the day: what's your favorite candy from childhood?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. OK, do you remember the flying saucers? The saucers were made of something that dissolved, and when they dissolve they have these little candy BB pellets in them.

    There are a few stores - one that I remember is in Rockport, MA - that have all those old candies still available. I still see the paper-dots occasionally, and I do remember the wax Coke bottles!

    ReplyDelete