Thursday, February 2, 2012

For the Ladies...

This one's for the ladies. So if you're a dude who gets creeped out by "girlie talk," I'd advise you to skip this post & come back another day. ;D

...Ladies, did you know PMS fatigue is a real thing? Because I didn't. Last week, all I wanted to do was lay on  the couch & sleep. I couldn't haul my cookies off the couch for anything. I think the house could've caught fire & I wouldn't have moved. I was disappointed in myself; I'd had a great running week & felt like I was blowing all my progress. But I couldn't seem to force myself to have enough energy to walk down the stairs to the treadmill, let alone actually use the damned thing.

Then I realized I feel this exact same way at the same point every month... & I thought to myself, "Is this PMS?"

I don't experience crazy PMS. I'm a headache/slight cramping kind of girl. Nothing painfully crippling, no super duper mood swings... but over the past three months or so, I've noticed a complete need to sleep the entire Sunday before I start my period. Once I realized this, I started the internet research. I found out something interesting...

PMS fatigue is a real thing! From a nifty web site called PMS Central:

PMS fatigue results from changes in levels of certain hormones (estrogen, progesterone) and neurotransmitters (serotonin, beta-endorphins etc.) during the last phase of the menstrual cycle. Not all women will be affected by PMS fatigue, but for those who are, these rhythmical biochemical changes during PMS can result in both mental and physical fatigue. The good news is that the best way to deal with PMS fatigue is not to fight it! Listen to your body and rest. Let's face it ' when else do most women get the chance of a valid reason for snuggling on the sofa with a comfy cushion or staying under the duvet? PMS fatigue is part of the body's normal response to the changes that occur during PMS. Like any other signal your body may give you, listen to it and respond appropriately. Don't get frustrated, upset or angry that your energy and spark disappears for a few days a month. Instead, stay comfortable and rest as much as you can until PMS fatigue passes.

This is amazing! I thought I was being lazy. I thought I might be getting sick. I thought I didn't have enough will power. But it turns out it's just a normal form of PMS. That's not to say I'm overjoyed by this knowledge, but it's reassuring to know I didn't exactly fail & it's normal to feel excessively tired.

So I will forgive myself. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment