Monday, October 8, 2012

Becoming Superstitious

I think I'm developing superstitious tendencies.

For about 2 years, I lusted after a necklace I saw on Running Skirts. It was a very simple charm & I wanted it. Bad. But I never bought it because I needed to feel like I earned it. No real reason for that, by the way. It was just an idea that got stuck in my head.

When I weighed in under 140 lbs., I ordered my necklace.
So tiny & delicate. I got the 16" version.
I've worn it ever since. During the day to work, during yoga class, lifting weights, even on my most recent 5k PR. And I've felt great doing all those activities. I felt like that necklace was providing me power... or something, I don't know. But I felt awesome wearing it.

Going to work!
With RP after 5k PR.

















 Which brings me to Saturday's LSDR.

I got up & knew instantly my body didn't feel right. I couldn't explain it, but something was out of sync. I got dressed, grabbed my bag, walked/fed the dogs, & headed out the door.

I forgot to put on my necklace.

At 6.5 miles into our run, almost at the turn around point, we hit a banked road. My IT band does not like banked roads. I felt the spiking pain right down the side/back of my leg & tried to keep going. I didn't make it that far. Combined with my running partner's blisters, we decided to call it at 7.5 miles. I could barely bend my knee right afterwards, but I didn't freak out because I understood exactly what happened. But it happened 7.5 miles away from our cars & I was incapable of making decisions, so my RP took over & phoned a friend. She came to rescue us & we treated her to brioche & cappuccino before heading home.

I felt like crap for the rest of the day. I hadn't earned my previous night's meal; no carb loading for runs under 10 miles. So I didn't hit that target. Then I had a massage & felt even worse. I actually cramped during the massage! And I didn't have anything with me to eat, so when I felt like I was going to pass out afterwards, I ate a 6 pack of Oreos to get my blood sugar back up. And naturally, I didn't consume enough water that day, so I woke up on Sunday with a massage hangover.

Where does this all end up? Focused on that damned necklace. I wasn't wearing it. Am I superstitious enough to believe if I'd been wearing it, that run would've rocked? I don't know. But on the off chance there's actually magic coming from it, I can promise this:

I will NOT forget that necklace this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment