Tuesday, January 18, 2011

4.3 Treadmill Miles Makes Me Happy...

All weekend, I "planned" to go running. I bought a new pair of Mizunos on Saturday & I really wanted to try them out. The problem was that I couldn't seem to get going. It was all mental; I tend to do best when I roll out of bed, pull on the Under Armour, & get to business. Doing it any other way usually means I will be unsuccessful. I've tried to break that & have come close, but coming back after injury means returning to tried-&-true methods of success.

So there I was, laying in bed wide awake at 0630 on Monday. Thanks to the federal holiday, I didn't have anywhere I needed to be. So I rolled out of bed, pulled on the Under Armour, & hit my treadmill. I wanted to see exactly what I could really do & how my foot would hold up. I fired up my Bridge-to-10K app on my iPhone (I seriously love this series of apps from this particular developer & recommend them to EVERYONE). Probably not the wisest course of action, but I started at Week 1 Day 1; I really wanted a controlled run.

53 minutes later, I had completed 4.3 miles. Ho. Ly. Crap! I was in shock. I know it's "treadmill miles," but it was an amazing thing to be able to do after being off for about 2 months. It was confidence-boosting. In fact, the only thing I struggled with was my lungs...a consistent problem for me. I ran at a slower pace for sure, but I had enough endurance to pull it out & complete the session.

What now? I'm going to keep working the B210k application until the first week of February. That's when the marathon training begins full-force. I think the app will help me get back into the swing of running.

At the very least, my foot doesn't hurt. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment