Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Doctors, Damages, and Dollars (Spent)

I know, I know. How many more pairs of running shoes do I need to try before I finally find ones that don't hurt me?

The answer? I don't know. But I might have gotten a little closer with the purchase of the Asics Cumulus 12 model. Let me explain.

If you've been following this blog, then you're already familiar with my love of VFF & my current inability to use them because of Morton's Neuroma. Since I was diagnosed, I've been on the search for traditional running sneakers to wear. Part of the problem has been my love affair with my VFF Bikilas; they took me a long way & I've had trouble separating from them. I know, I know... I need to get over it.

The other problem is a bit more, well, problematic. 2 doctors (one family physician & one orthopedist) and 1 physical therapist told me my arches had fallen & I have flat feet. This required "motion control" sneakers. I didn't question this; they looked at my feet & I figured they had to be correct. After all, they've got all the training, right? So I went out & purchased the New Balance 1012 model. I loved them because they were cushioned on my forefoot, exactly where I needed for Morton's Neuroma. However, running in them was like running with bricks on my feet.

Hey, give me a break! I'm accustomed to VFFs, okay?

I started my marathon training with the NB 1012s. Everything "seemed" okay the first week. The second week, everything fell apart (please see my previous entry for details). I had a complete & utter meltdown. That's where my husband enters the story.

See, Mr. X has been running for about 11 years. Not seriously, not competitively... let's just say he has to run as a requirement of his job. When I came home from Disaster Run, he pointed out my legs were in screaming pain in the same places. In the exact same places on both legs. That made him think it was actually the NB 1012s that were the problem, not my capabilities.

So for the first time ever, we conducted the "wet paper bag" test. We laid out the paper, wetted my feet down, & I walked across the bags. Mr. X took one very brief glance at the result & said, "Oh no. You've got a neutral/high arch. You don't need motion control at all!"

Um... WTF 2 doctors & physical therapist? Then it occurred to me; none of them had ever examined the way I walk/run! They simply looked at my feet & made a determination. I guess that makes it partly my fault for not asking, but we tend to trust our doctors.

With my results in hand, I went out to find another pair of sneakers. I combed the internets to find a couple of options, then went out locally to track down the ones I thought might work (based on user reviews). I found Asics Cumulus 12.

I wore them out Sunday for a very slow 4 miles (yes, it took an hour). I didn't run a lot of it; my legs are still damaged from wearing the wrong sneakers. But the pieces of running I did were... well... pretty awesome. My feet were finally acting naturally. My right knee stopped hurting because it was aligned properly to my foot. Everything fell into place. I had to manage my expectations; that was the only disappointment. I wanted to RUN, but my damaged legs couldn't handle it.

I'm hoping this model of shoe will be my salvation & lead me back into training for Edinburgh. I'm getting danger-close to not being able to do it successfully. I need to get back in. Cross your fingers for me, please? Asics Cumulus 12: root for it! :D

1 comment:

  1. I am really hoping that these new shoes will help you out. I've been rooting for you ever since I heard your goal. I am proud of you for getting back on the horse and going again.

    I think of you every day when I take my daily walk and I hope to be running like you by this time next year. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete