Friday, February 11, 2011

Week 2: Roadblock

Dear Readers: you are about to read about a total physical & mental breakdown.


As previously recorded, I did a 7.6m run on Sunday. I took my traditional 2 days off running (Monday for rest, Tuesday w/personal trainer for cross-training purposes). So the next time I ventured outside for a run was Wednesdays.


It. Was. A Complete. Disaster.


It was supposed to be a 5m run, complete with intervals for speed training (check out FitnessClasses w/Runkeeper). I got about 0.8m & the inside of both my ankles were on fire. I stopped to stretch & continued on my way. Just a short while later, I had to reduce to walking again. Every time I started to run, I felt like I had spikes going through the inside of my legs just above my ankle bones. 


I waddled home, making it an astounding 2.4m. I was a complete mess.


By the time Scott was able to make it down from our home office, I was sitting on our stairs, crying my fool eyes about from pain & utter disappointment. It's not an exaggeration to say it was some of the worst pain I've felt in my entire life. 


Scott immediately launched into an assessment of what could possibly be wrong. He judged that because my legs hurt in identical spots, it must be the shoes. It's my first time out with traditional sneakers (I miss my VFFs) & the doctor & physical therapists have recommended motion control. So that's what I bought. But as Scott examined my wear/tear on my shoes, he thought that determination was completely wrong.


Today: for the first time ever (don't ask me why I've never done this before), I actually did the "wet paper bag" test. This involves putting a paper bag on the floor, wetting your feet, & walking across the bag. Depending on how much of your foot shows up, you'll need a different type of shoe. The result for me? Not even close to flat feet (i.e. motion control shoes that were recommended to me by doctors!).


Is this a full-proof test? Nope. Does it take the place of an actual fitting by professionals at a running store? Nope. However, maybe it'll help me get to the right pair of shoes I need to jump into this training I want so badly. 


Tomorrow I'm off to purchase new running shoes (again). I'm going for Asics Cumulus 12. I tried them on, but with no knowledge of the shoe, I didn't want to buy until I'd done my research. They fit wonderfully (I mean, perfectly awesomely wonderful), but I got skittish about spending more $$$ on gear that may/may not work for me. After a bit of research & my non-scientific foot test this evening, I'm hopeful for the first time in awhile. :D

2 comments:

  1. Rare dermatoglyphs is definitely the biggest wind this year, sweeping bags and frye mules
    , I always feel uncomfortable if I don't come to one. But I don't recommend that you try to be particularly exaggerated.
    After all, it will be a problem if you can wear it next year. I have already bought a pair of By Far with crocodile pattern.In addition to our good-looking clothes, shoes can still fascinate you. "The type is frye sale, in fact, there are quite a lot of colors, but my favorite is this pair of crocodile pattern red and blue color matching, it is too individual!
    At that time, many friends asked me to buy frye billy short
    , but unfortunately I couldn't get it when the code was broken.....but it is still a cinnabar mole in my heart. I told myself to start it immediately if I made money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black, gray and brown are the three natural colors, which meet the needs of Asian girls for natural makeup. Everyone knows that Europeans and Americans havelight grey contacts, so when expressing some exotic makeup, I will choose the big blue and big green models that match them.
    Remember Taylor Swift's imitation makeup? I used blue-violet pure black eyes. Using makeup techniques to deepen the contours of the eyes, coupled with the most important cosmetic contact lenses, the eyes really look like Europeans and Americans.
    Such a dark brown model will change totwilight brown when exposed to the sun under the sun. It seems to have a sense of blur, and it looks very nice with natural earthy light makeup.

    ReplyDelete