Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Week Down...

Restaurant during my Sunday Long Run
Managed to get thru the first week of marathon training with relatively little damage to my body (my foot isn't so great, but that's a "wait & see" thing). Sundy was an 8 mile run; we made it 7.6m because we cut the route short... we ended up at the road that leads to our house sooner than we expected to.

So how do I feel after a week of targeted training? Would it be too negative to say I feel like crap? Not really physically... I'm not bad off or anything. It's just that after the first long run of the cycle, I feel that this is an impossible task & there's no way I can complete it. Humbled is not an appropriate word for how I feel about my decision to enter the marathon. I hate the negativity, but I also want to be honest about what I'm feeling at this point.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull this off & I kinda wish I hadn't signed up for this. I'm hoping my mental block dissolves over time.

2 comments:

  1. Omg, you ran 7.6 miles! I am so impressed! You have no idea how that sounds to somebody like me. I couldn't even make it half a mile without heaving I don't think.

    I know that a mental block is harder to evaporate but I know you can do it. I'm immensely proud and you have no idea how impressed I am! I'm envious and hope to get to the point where you are someday.

    Keep on running :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I spent the majority of a personal training session (I traded shoes/purses for a personal trainer) discussing how disappointing this long run was & what I can do to improve. The biggest "downer" is that I did this mileage in October 30 minutes faster. I lost a LOT by being injured. So now it's all about just doing it & not obsessing over what I lost.

    I'm going to keep pushing through. All the aches/pains will hopefully work themselves out & I won't suck so bad the next time out.

    And don't worry... I started all this with a Couch-to-5k program in March 2010. I've come an incredibly long way just by sticking with that program... & my iPhone. I think my iPhone has been my best tool in my running. The apps keep me on track. :D

    ReplyDelete