Sunday, July 31, 2011

Breakdown: Week 8 just couldn't wait...

Monday: Still on vacation. We spent the entire day on a boat, cruising around Malta, Gozo, & Comino. The weather wasn't so nice, so I didn't do much swimming or sun worship. However, the trip was lovely.

Tuesday: I was happily engaged in sun worship, reading the latest Runner's World magazine...
Reading: my favorite activity while sun-worshipping
...wherein I read an article by Jeff Galloway... which discussed running whilst on vacation. The guilt set in & I hit the hotel gym. I was going to run 5 miles, but about 4 miles in, a dude jumped on the treadmill next to me. There were other machines open, but he was determined to use the one directly next to me. Then I smelled the garlic & alcohol coming out of his pores & realized I wasn't going to last until 5 miles. So I called it at 4.5 miles. It's a typical base run for me, so the only disappointing thing about it was Mr. Funky-funktasterson.

Wednesday-Sunday: Wow... can you say Lazy?! Wednesday was our last day in Malta, so I devoted my whole day to Sun-Worship. I did some swimming, so at least something athletic was happening. Thursday was an all-day travel day, & I ended up sleeping in on Friday & Saturday. Sunday was a bit different. I engaged in the time-honored tradition of "vacation recovery," i.e. laundry, putting away toiletries, & stowing the luggage. Very depressing. And I did it without air conditioning (we're still all messed up temperature-wise from Malta), so I worked up a sweat. Not exactly activity, but absolutely necessary.

I also weighed in on Sunday. I managed to go on vacation & not gain any weight! Totally fabulous news. I don't feel like I have to "start over" just because I over-indulged on carbs during vacation... not that it was all my fault: Malta has a lot of Italian influence, so I ate more pasta/pizza than usual. Not as much fish as I'd have liked, though. I feel like I need a detox.

So that was Week 8. Not much progress, but at least I'm well rested. Ready to get back on the wagon, do some marathon training, & eat the right foods again. Let's see how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment