Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Petzl Tikka XP2 Headlamp


Over the summer, I developed into an early morning runner. I was fortunate enough to have employers who understood my marathon training & provided me time to complete those early morning runs. But I have a new job, so that means running after work. And also, winter is coming...

Holy crap, it's dark outside! 

I'm a Jersey Girl at heart, so running in the dark by myself gives me the willies. So I went on a crazed search for a headlamp to keep up my early morning/after-work-in-the-dark runs. Price became an issue for me; I was astonished by the cost! After about a month of trying to be cheap, I finally caved & spent the money on a Petzl Tikka XP 2 headlamp.

I have no head!
The first thing I noticed about this particular headlamp was the price. It was €50, which is about $65, give or take a dollar either way. The next thing I noticed was the name Petzl. Running friends have recommended Petzl, so I felt good about the purchase. As you can see, the packing is quite detailed; the battery life, distance, & functionally of the headlamp are listed quite clearly. The back of the packaging also has the weight of the lamp listed (88g including batteries). It's water resistant, so it'll hold up if I manage to get caught in the rain. Also nice: it's compatible with lithium batteries, which opens the product up to rechargeable batteries. If I end up using this a lot, that'll save me battery money in the long run.

I wore the headlamp over my usual running hat. I'd grabbed it as an afterthought, but Mr. X was glad to see I was running with some light. When I got out there, I was glad I had it with me; it shines really far & helped me not fall off a curb or into a ditch. With (or because of) the hat, I didn't feel it bounce around or move; the brim of the hat may have held it in place. Overall, I was very happy with the power of the light. I even got honked at by a truck... I figure it's because I accidentally shined my light right into his eyes or something.

So far, I'm pleased with the Petzl Tikka XP 2 headlamp. The price was right, the power of the light is great, & it didn't bounce or feel heavy. I'm sure I'll be using this a lot as the evening dark gets longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment