Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March Reading: Les Miserables

Fitness is important, but it can't be the only thing a person focuses on. Otherwise, we're all bound for epic burnout. Sure, I've got March Madness going on, but I'm interested in many other things besides running & fitness. For example, I used to do a podcast called KindleWomen. We read & reviewed books & talked about the eReader/eBook industry at large. I'm sad the show is over, but I still read. A lot.

Where does that leave me? I'm reading one classic a month. I haven't read a lot of "the classics," so why not start now? And the best part is, the classics are pretty much free on the Amazon Kindle (my personal favorite eReading device). In January, I reread Ayn Rand's opus Atlas Shrugged (not free, btw, but I lovelovelove that book). I spent the last week of February reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.

The March selection is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I think it's unabridged, which means it's going to be a long one. I'm sure I can get thru the entire book in March... I'm a quick reader. I'm a fan of the musical; I figure it'd be nice to know the actual story. So far, the Bishop is an interesting character... & he's one of my favorites in the musical. How else would Jean Valjean become himself without the Bishop?

There you have it. Non-fitness goals are important to have... as people, we can't possibly be all about one thing & one thing alone. I love reading, so I've incorporated it into my list of goals. I'm even tracking it in my BelieveIAm journal. If you're into reading, feel free to read along & we can chat about it. As classics, it's really impossible to drop spoilers. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment